Sony made waves in the camera enthusiast community with its acclaimed RX100 high-performance compact digital camera. Now, Sony has updated this popular SLR alternative with some cool new features. The RX100 II features an improved sensor, built-in Wi-Fi, a tilting display, and a manual control ring — improvements that make a great camera even easier to use.
Big sensor, now better than ever
The RX100 II's improved 1-inch back-illuminated CMOS sensor offers even better low-light sensitivity with minimal noise. This large sensor is more than twice the size of those found in standard point-and-shoot cameras. As a result, this camera rivals larger SLRs when it comes to picture quality. Expect clear images and vibrant colors from your photos, even when shooting in dimly lit conditions. Rarely does such exceptional photo quality come from a camera small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.
Manual 5-step zoom control
It's not just the large sensor that enables the RX100 II to capture gorgeous shots in low light. The Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens has a fast f/1.8 aperture value at full wide angle. That superior light-gathering ability really comes in handy if you're shooting in this camera's lightning-quick continuous mode — it can record up to 10 frames per second at full 20.2-megapixel resolution. The 3.6X optical zoom range offers shooting versatility for more distant subjects. And the new assignable manual control ring features 5-step zoom, so you can dial in those subjects more quickly.
The RX100 II features a tilting LCD screen for improved shooting versatility from high or low angles.
With a camera this good, you're going to want to share lots of your photos. To make it easier, Sony added wireless photo-sharing capability to the RX100 II. With built-in Wi-Fi, it's easy to transfer photos from the camera wirelessly to your compatible smartphone using Sony's free PlayMemories app for Apple® and Android™ devices. The app also offers remote control of the camera's shutter, so you can snap a shot using your smartphone — great for shooting group shots using a tripod. If you have an NFC-compatible Android smartphone, simply touch it to the RX100 II for instant pairing and transfer of photos.
Shoot from up high or down low
Other features new to the RX100 II include a tilting LCD screen, allowing you to shoot from the hip or above your head while viewing the high-resolution display. Choose from 24, 30, or 60 frames per second when shooting 1080p HD video. Want better audio quality from your home movies? Attach an optional microphone to the multi-interface shoe, which can also accommodate compatible viewfinders or flashes. There's also a multi-terminal for connecting a remote shutter release
- wirelessly transfer or back up images to your smartphone via Wi-Fi with Sony's PlayMemories app for Apple® and Android™ devices
- compatible with Near Field Communication (NFC) devices for "touch-to-pair" wireless connectivity
- manual control ring can be assigned to control different functions, including zoom, aperture value, and picture effects
- 5-step zoom (28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, 100mm)
- seven aperture blades allow smooth background defocusing for superior macro shots
- Superior Auto and P/A/S/M modes for both video and stills accommodate any skill level
- Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization for shake-free videos even while walking
- records in RAW and JPEG formats for greater creative flexibility during editing
- advanced Exmor® 1" CMOS sensor for sharp photos even in low light
- face detection and subject tracking improve portraits and keep moving subjects in focus for sharper photos
- scene recognition chooses the appropriate scene mode based on your subject and shooting environment
- high-speed autofocus
- Picture Effect modes like Soft Focus and Retro Photo let you add creative effects to photos
- multi-interface shoe for adding optional accessories such as a flash, viewfinder, and microphone
- multi-terminal for use with a compatible shutter release remote
- digital level gauge to allow easier leveling of the camera
- built-in flash