With a large CMOS sensor, a highly capable processor, and a fast wide-angle zoom lens, the Sony DSC-RX100 IV is a small camera with big possibilities. Fast Intelligent Autofocus with spot-on contrast detection and powerful tracking performance gives you clear, sharp photos and stunning videos at up to 4K resolution. You get up to 16 frames per second of continuous shooting at the camera's full 20-megapixel resolution thanks to all this power and speed, plus some added bonuses in the way of freezing motion or slowing it down, that will effectively change how you see the world around you.
Capture the imperceptible
The RX100 IV's intense processing speed makes both super-speed shooting and super slow motion video capture easy and accessible. With electronic shutter speeds up to an astounding 1/32,000 seconds, you can freeze objects in motion, like a bullet hitting a water balloon or, maybe more practically, your dog catching a tennis ball in mid-air. The RX100 IV's Anti-Distortion shutter system can freeze fast-moving subjects without altering their shape the way a camera with a conventional CMOS sensor and slower maximum shutter speed might do, so you'll get accurately detailed captures of thrilling moments frozen in time.
Conversely, the RX100 IV lets you slow down time with 40X super slow motion HD video capability. Extremely high frame rate (HFR) movie recording of up to 960 frames per second is possible, resulting in slow motion capture of movements you can't make out with your eye. You'll be able to record the fascinating undulating motion of butterfly wings in flight, or the split-second change of a facial expression in all its complexity. Slowing things down in this way gives you a new appreciation for the intricacies of life's moving parts, and it's likely to inspire new ideas for super-speed shooting as well.
Good glass brings it all together
Of course, all of the processing power of the RX100 IV would be wasted if not for its versatile lens. A maximum aperture of f/2.8 at the telephoto end of the attached 24-70mm zoom lens enables fast, blur-free shooting and lovely background defocusing. A close minimum focusing distance of just under two inches at the wide end makes the RX100 IV great for macro and close-up work, and its short zoom range makes it optimal for landscapes and portraits also. You can shoot wide open in extremely bright light and get well-exposed images with defocused backgrounds like you never thought possible thanks to the added speed of the electronic shutter and a built-in neutral density filter.
A lens-mounted control ring gives you added command over manual controls and lets you adjust different features and functions like step-zooming. Smooth, quiet operation lets you use the control ring while shooting video as well.
Your phone adds functionality
Built-in Wi-Fi means you can instantly transfer photos and videos from the RX100 IV directly to your phone or tablet for easy uploading and sharing. NFC touch pairing is also available for compatible Android™ devices. Sony's PlayMemories Camera Apps include free and paid apps that complement your photographic style and interests. There's the indispensable free Smart Remote Control app that lets you use your mobile device to control shooting on the camera, along with specialized apps for things like light painting, time-lapse, stop motion, multiple exposure, plus plenty of editing effects to fine-tune your photos and add your own personal touches.
- 20.1-megapixel effective recording
- bright f/1.8-2.8 24-70mm (35mm equivalent) ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* lens
- large 1" (13.2 x 8.8mm) Exmor RS® back-illuminated CMOS sensor for low noise and exceptional sensitivity
- BIONZ X image processor for high-resolution, low-noise photos and fast autofocus performance
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards, and Memory Stick® PRO Duo™ media
- up to 16 frames per second continuous shooting at full resolution
- high-resolution 3" LCD screen (1,229,000 dots) tilts 180 degrees upward or 45 degrees downward to allow for easy self-portrait framing and composition from difficult angles
- retractable 2,359,296-dot OLED viewfinder
- up to 4K video resolution
- shutter speed range: 30-1/2,000 seconds, bulb
- up to 1/32,000 seconds with electronic shutter; for clear fast-action photos and slow motion video
- variable ISO settings from ISO 125-12,800
- Wi-Fi lets you transfer photos and video to smartphones and tablets for easy image sharing
- NFC touch pairing with compatible Android™ devices
- PlayMemories Camera Apps let you add new camera functions and capabilities
- manual control ring can be assigned to control different functions, including zoom, aperture value, and picture effects
- seven aperture blades allow smooth background defocusing
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- Optical SteadyShot® minimizes image blur and camera shake
- face detection and subject tracking improve portraits and keep moving subjects in focus for sharper photos
- high-speed autofocus
- 9 scene modes (including Macro, Night Portrait, Landscape and more) for accurately exposed images in different shooting environments
- Picture Effect modes like Soft Focus and Retro Photo let you add creative touches
- Sweep Panorama mode stitches images together to create expansive vistas
- digital level gauge helps you line your shots up evenly
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- high-speed micro USB interface
- 4"W x 2-3/8"H x 1-5/8"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 10.5 oz.