Canon's new EOS Rebel T5i has arrived to lead that legendary product line down the path to new accomplishments. Firstly, it's a camera that takes a lot of trial and error out of your shooting style. Enter live-view mode, and unlike many other cameras in its class, you can preview the effect of various creative filters in real-time. So you can decide whether that excellent close-up you're framing up of your girlfriend looks better with the "Art Bold" effect or without.
In focus, all the time
Canon's newly tweaked 18-megapixel hybrid CMOS sensor contains pixels that are specially designed to offer phase detection autofocus. Why is that news important? Because it enables the camera to use two autofocus strategies, phase detection and contrast detection. In turn, this allows the camera to constantly track subjects at all times, even during video capture. No more presetting focus before you start the video mode, or hoping to "wing it" in manual mode.
It's going for speed
Action and sports photographers will appreciate the difference the DIGIC 5 image processor makes. The T5i fires off continuous 18-megapixel still shots at 5 frames per second. And because the processor enables greater light sensitivity and noise reduction, it's easier to increase your shutter speed so you can freeze the fast moving action at the perfect moment, even when your surroundings get hectic. Plus, the controls are built for speed as well: the T5i's mode select dial has been simplified and refined from that of its immediate predecessor, without losing any of its functionality. Even the dial's icons are raised a bit to make them easier to discern in low light.The Canon EOS Rebel T5i features an articulated LCD screen that helps you monitor unusual shooting angles
A nice touch(screen)
The LCD display on the back has some cool tricks as well. In addition to being a fully articulated tilt/swivel monitor, it features three diagonal inches of gorgeous, 1,040,000-dot high-resolution screen. And get this: it's touch-enabled, allowing you a lightning-fast method of controlling your camera's settings. In fact, the touchscreen acts in a manner similar to many smartphones, so you'll find the interface easy and intuitive.
Clear as a bell
Video shooters will also appreciate the on-board stereo mic, the external microphone input, and the settable microphone input levels. Canon realizes that good audio is the first step towards making your videos truly professional, so the T5i is loaded with features that will help you do just that.
Geared to your pace
Don't worry that the Canon EOS Rebel T5i, with all its helpful settings, will be complex. Intelligent auto modes, autofocus, and scene detection will ensure great results for beginners; you can explore custom options as you gain confidence with the camera. A plethora of creative options await the curious and the enthusiastic.
- 18-megapixel effective recording
- APS-C-size Hybrid CMOS image sensor (22.3 x 14.9 mm) includes pixels dedicated to phase-detection autofocus, adding a second method of determining focus
- hybrid autofocus combines contrast detection and phase detection components for full-time subject tracking, even while shooting video
- touchscreen-enabled tilt-and-swivel high-res 3" LCD (1,040,000 dots) with Live View allows composing shots on-screen in real-time
- refined, 360-degree-rotating mode selection dial features raised icons for improved operation anytime, even in low light
- high-def movie mode with full-manual exposure, continuous autofocus, selectable frame rates, and dedicated record button
- Video Snapshot mode captures short video clips in two, four, or eight second bursts to easily create exciting, "multi-take" movies
- DIGIC 5 image processor provides exceptional image quality and enhanced low-light sensitivity
- optical viewfinder with diopter adjustment
- integrated cleaning system keeps image sensor clean for spotless photos
- manual audio level adjustment
- 9-point autofocus system for rapid, precise autofocusing, central sensor optimized to f/2.8
- 63-zone metering system for accurate exposure
- hot shoe for Canon EX-series Speedlite flash accessories
- built-in wireless flash control can operate multiple off-camera Canon Speedlite flashes to create dramatic lighting effects
- Compatible Lenses:
- compatible with Canon EF and EF-S lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: 5 frames per second (up to 22 JPEG images, or 6 RAW images)
- shutter speed range: 30-1/4,000 seconds, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-12,800 (25,600 expanded)
- shooting modes include: scene intelligent auto, program auto, creative auto, HDR backlight control, multi-shot noise reduction, flash off, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, and manual, portrait, landscape, night portrait, handheld night scene
- flash sync at 1/200 second
File Formats and Storage:
- still image storage modes: RAW (14-bit), JPEG (Fine, Normal, EXIF 2.3 compliant), or RAW+JPEG (Fine/Large)
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 5,184 x 3,456
- movie file formats: MOV (Video: H.264, Sound: Linear PCM)
- movie image size: up to 1,920 x 1,080 resolution (up to 30 progressive frames per second)
- uses optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- audio/SD video output (NTSC/PAL selectable)
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- input jack for Canon RS-60E3 wired remote (also compatible with Canon RC-6 wireless remote)
- 5-5/16"W x 4"H x 3-1/4"D
- weight: 18.5 oz.