24.2MP Exmor CMOS Sensor
UHD 4K Video Recording in XAVC S Format
4K video recording also avails the ability to produce 8MP stills during playback by taking a frame grab from a movie and storing it as a separate file.
Additional Video Features
- Affording extensive customizable color and gamma controls, the a6600 allows users to adjust the gamma, black level, knee, color level, and more. Also, users can use the same S-Log2 Gamma Curve that is found on high-end Sony Cinema cameras that squeezes up to 1300% more dynamic range into the video signal then traditional REC709, for increased post-production flexibility. HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support is also available, along with the BT.2020 color space, for recording within a wide color gamut and, in addition to S-Log2, S-Log3 is also available for producing an effective 14-stop dynamic range with increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
- Take more control over your video capture capabilities with a variety of new frame rates available in an S&Q mode. This will allow shooters to capture Full HD video at one of either steps between 1-120 fps. These settings will allow you to slow down action as well as speed up a slow-moving scene. This setting is also NTSC/PAL switchable.
- An enhanced Zebra function is ideally suited to aid in monitoring exposure values in high-contrast scenes. Video signal level targets can be set from 0 to 109, and specific ranges can be set to make exposure level adjustments easier.
- A time code can be used to record hours, minutes, seconds, frames on image data for more precise editing while the User Bit function can record date, time, and scene number to aid in editing together footage from multiple cameras.
The apt 4D FOCUS system also lends itself to a variety of focusing functions for refined accuracy, including Lock-on AF, which maintains focus on moving subjects throughout the use of a configurable frame that is set over the desired moving subject, and Expand Flexible Spot, which employs neighboring focus points to retain focus on moving subjects even if the originally selected point loses focus. Autofocus can also be used in conjunction with the Focus Magnifier function for critical focus when homing in on minute subject details.
In addition to autofocus, the a6600 also features a Peaking MF function to benefit manual focus control by highlighted sharp edges of contrast for a more objective means of acquiring sharp focus.
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
For long focal lengths, the system will correct for pitch and yaw adjustments. Macro and high-magnification imagery, on the other hand, will benefit from the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation. All shooting styles will get usage out of the roll compensation. All 5 axes of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- A robust magnesium alloy body offers a durable profile, and also incorporates dust and moisture seals to protect against harsh environments.
- The XGA Tru-Finder 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder offers a bright, high-resolution means for eye-level monitoring, and also sports a dedicated 120 fps mode for smoother viewing when tracking moving subjects.
- A 3.0" 921.6k-dot LCD touchscreen can be tilted 180° upward or 74° downward to suit working from high and low angles. The screen also incorporates White Magic technology with an RGBW pixel structure for increased brightness to support use in daylight conditions.
- The touchscreen design avails access to Touch Focus control, for immediate focus point selection, as well as a Touchpad function which lets you smoothly and intuitively select a focus point on the screen while you're looking into the viewfinder.
- Integrated 3.5mm headphone and microphone ports afford greater control over audio during video recording.
- The included NP-FZ100 rechargeable lithium-ion is rated for approximately 810 shots per charge when working with the LCD screen.
- In addition to the battery, the a6600 can also be powered via a USB connection to a computer or mobile battery. This connection can also be used to charge the battery.
- A rigid metal lens mount better supports working with larger, heavier lens designs.
- An ergonomic grip structure is ideal for long shooting sessions and facilitates easy access to the main control buttons and dials.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the a6600 to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera's shutter.
- Bluetooth connectivity allows for location data acquisition.